Saturday, December 28, 2013

Holiday Rush

Once again I've been too busy to make anything fun for report in my blog. No holiday cookies again! Which I find especially disheartening because baking sugar cookies is what started this blog back on December 6th, 2010

Wow, I can't believe I've been writing this blog for three years! It was a lot easier to update twice a week when it was just me and my kitty Memphis. He still likes to hang out in the kitchen with me, but it's much harder to fit into the cupboard now that he is a full grown cat of around 15 lbs. There are also many more obstacles on the counter to get in his way.

It would be nice to be able to go back to two updates a week rather than the current tenuous once a week. Now that the holiday season is winding down, my work schedule is loosening up considerably. I will continue to work late, however, and since Greg usually gets home before I do, he is now the one who does the majority of the cooking in our household. Maybe he should start a food blog. He is a very clever cook!

Speaking of Greg, his family has continued in the tradition of giving me cooking implements for Christmas. In 2011, I received a food processor, then the next year it was a large slow cooker, which Greg and I use quite a bit! It is so nice to come home to a hot meal all ready to be eaten. If you don't have a slow cooker (or Crock Pot, if you prefer), I highly recommend them. Check out the first thing I made here, slow cooked spinach casserole

This year, I got a four egg poacher pan so I can make poached eggs on the stove rather than in the microwave. While I was still living in California, I'd purchased a four egg plastic container to poach eggs in the microwave, which worked ok and was definitely quick! Only the eggs sometimes ended up a bit rubbery and often exploded. Thankfully, the thing had a lid. A week or so ago, Greg and I picked up some everything bagels from Trader Joe's. I am very much looking forward to having time enough in the morning to make poached eggs and spreading them on the everything bagels. So delicious! Maybe on Monday, my next day off. I also have Wednesday off, so I hope to make my first entry of the new year on time.


No comments:

Post a Comment