Thursday, December 5, 2013

Verde Chicken Enchilada from Kraft Recipe Makers

When I was shopping in the fresh meat section at Meijer a little while ago, I discovered the family size chicken breasts all had little coupons stuck to them for $1 off the chicken in question with the purchase of something called a "Recipe Maker." Greg and I use a few dinner kits, mostly pre-made sauce packets that we combine with fresh ingredients like chicken or beef and vegetables. This was a new one for me, though, and I thought I'd check it out. 

It actually took me a while to find since every Meijer sorts its shelves differently. I first checked where they keep the Hamburger Helper, Zatarain's, etc, and did not see it. Given that the store was essentially passing out coupons for it, I was frustrated and almost gave up. Turns out it was put next to the sauce and gravy section, which includes powdered seasoning packets, and is not to be confused with the bouillon and soup mix section, or the sauce and dressing section. (Honestly, Meijer, wtf?)

So I found the Kraft Recipe Makers at last! and discovered they were very cheap even without the coupon. The ingredients aren't horrible, either (meaning the product is mostly comprised of food and not a ton of difficult to identify chemicals). There are about 10 different boxes to choose from, divided into skillet, oven, and slow cooker mixes. I chose Verde Chicken Enchilada (oven) because it only required buying more cheese, something I'd been debating about anyway, and a bag of tortillas, which are cheap. I was already buying the chicken; that's where the coupon came from. 

The recipe first calls for shredded cooked chicken, so I boiled a couple of large chicken breasts, then sliced it rather than shredding it, because I am terrible at shredding chicken, as it turns out. There is a packet for filling sauce, which I mixed with the chicken in a large bowl. I warmed the 12 small tortillas in the microwave to make them more pliable, then scooped some of the chicken mixture into the tortillas one at a time, rolled them, and placed them in a 13x9 glass baking dish. There was another packet of finishing sauce that got poured over the top, followed by shredded cheese. 

20 minutes in the oven at 350F and dinner was done! Well, mostly done. While it was baking, I dumped some frozen peas and carrots into another glass dish and heated it up in the microwave with some garlic salt and parsley flakes. Yummy! 

I would absolutely try Kraft Recipe Makers again. These enchiladas were super delicious! Not too spicy and a little bit creamy. You could easily up the heat factor by sprinkling on some red pepper flakes before popping it in the oven, or shake on some hot sauce before or after baking.

Greg recently returned from Meijer with another package of family-size fresh chicken breasts with another coupon on it. Now I can't decide if I want those enchiladas again, which I have been thinking a lot about because they were so tasty, or something new. I do plan on being by Meijer later today... I think I will wait for Greg and we can decide together. Probably. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment