Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pizza Monkey Bread

Something I've been seeing circulating on Facebook is called "Pull-Apart Pizza Bread." When I looked at the recipe, I thought to myself, "That looks like the monkey bread that Greg makes, only pizza." Having been walked through the monkey bread process (monkey bread is delicious, by the way), I figured the pizza bread would be both easy and a neat thing to try. I wasn't sure how everything was going to stick together, but when has that stopped me before?

Greg helped me shop for the pizza monkey bread. We got two canisters of Pillsbury Grands biscuits, a package of turkey pepperoni (because I try my best to stay away from pork products that often make me sick), and some shredded mozzarella cheese. It's a simple recipe. If I do this again, I might try adding mushrooms or diced onions. Probably a lot of things could be added provided they are in smallish chunks or slices.

Now, we only kind of have a bundt pan. By this I mean that we have two pieces of metal that fit together and look like a bundt pan, but they don't fit together tightly enough to keep juices from oozing out the bottom and making a mess of the oven. We learned this when Greg first made monkey bread in it. But, it's all I have, so I just placed it on a baking sheet to catch any drippings.
First, I put together a homemade dipping sauce of olive oil, garlic powder, dried basil leaves, and dried parsley. 

Second, I opened the Grands biscuits package and tore each of the Grands in half. At first  tried to roll them into balls before giving them a bath of olive oil and tossing them into the make-shift bundt pan. 
Once I had a layer of dough, I put on a layer of pepperoni followed by a layer of cheese. I repeated the dough, then pepperoni, then cheese, finishing with a third layer of dough. I was low on dough at this point, so it was a very loose layer. 
I had the oven preheating to 350F while I was assembling the bread. The recipe calls for 375F, but our oven runs very hot and often burns things if I set it to the actual recommended temperature. Turns out this time that 375 would have been better. I baked it for 25 minutes, tried it, and it was quite doughy. After I popped it back in for another 10 minutes, it was still not done! I ended up putting my portion in the microwave to cook while Greg just ate the undercooked dough. 

When I ate leftovers a couple of days later, I also dipped the pieces into pasta sauce. I figure if I make this again, and I'd like to for Game Night, I will make make a spread of dipping sauces for after the bread is cooked. I'll bet Alfredo sauce would be delicious with pizza bread. Or more of the garlic and herb sauce I made for the dough bits before baking them.

Anyway, I consider this mostly a success! And it's easy and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment