Saturday, February 1, 2014

Crispy Cheesy Chicken Cutlets


Sometimes re-creating recipes I see online is difficult, so I end up combining various things together with my own previous culinary experience. Thus, my crispy cheesy chicken cutlets were born. I originally found the inspiration on Facebook, then tracked it down on Pinterest. (Good ol' Pinterest.)

I had originally intended to use chicken breast, but when I pulled the Tupperware of chicken I had left in the fridge to thaw out, I discovered they were more like cutlets. So I pulled another container out of the freezer and thawed it about halfway using the microwave before cutting it in half and sending it to join its already thawed brethren.


First, I spread some Italian bread crumbs onto a plate. Next, I coated the chicken in the bread crumbs, counting on the chicken's own juices to make the crumbs stick. After placing them in a glass baking dish that had been sprayed with Pam, I thoroughly covered each cutlet with shredded Colby jack cheese, a sprinkling of sea salt, and a generous shaking of dried parsley flakes. This went into the oven for 35 minutes at 400F.


Meanwhile, on the stove top, I emptied one can of cream of celery soup into a small sauce pan followed by about 4 tablespoons of sour cream, which I allowed to slowly heat up under the low setting, stirring occasionally. I also found some leftover cooked white rice in the fridge, which I revived in the microwave, and a frozen bag of broccoli and cauliflower that I also steamed in the microwave.


When I pulled the chicken out of the oven, I was surprised by how much it had shrunk! Had I overcooked it? Should I have lowered the temperature? Feeling trepidatious about how dinner had turned out, I put the cutlets onto plates alongside a scoop of rice and ladled the celery soup and sour cream sauce over both.

The original recipe for the sauce had called for butter. I am glad that I left it out as the sauce turned out to be quite rich enough with just the two ingredients. I thought it was fantastic on the rice! Pretty tasty on the chicken, too, which turned out to not be dry at all, it had just shrunk. Greg and I both really enjoyed it.

And that's what matters in the end, right? Food is meant to taste good above all else. If the presentation is also pleasing, that's just icing on the cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment