Saturday, March 15, 2014

Zatarain's Creole Corn Casserole

  • 1 package of Zatarain's (original calls for Fire Roasted Vegetables and Rice mix; I used Red Beans & Rice because the former is impossible to find) 
  • 1 can cream-style corn
  • 1 can Mexican style corn (or Fiesta, which is all I found), drained
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chiles
  • 2 cups of shredded cheddar/monterey jack cheese (or Mexican blend)
  1. Cook the package of Zatarain's according to package directions.
  2. Combine all ingredients except 1/2 cup of cheese and mix well. Place in casserole dish.
  3. Top with remainder 1/2 cup of cheese.
  4. Bake uncovered at 350F for 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
I found this recipe years ago on the back of a box of Zatarain's. When I made it before, I only followed the stovetop part and didn't bake it into a casserole. It made an excellent dip with tortilla chips! I haven't been able to find the Fire Roasted Vegetables and Rice mix for quite some time, and rather doubt that it is still being made. Probably any Zatarain's rice mix could be substituted. I used Red Beans & Rice this time around. I also substituted Mexican blend cheese for the cheddar/monterey jack because I couldn't find the latter mix either. 

What makes this dish "creole" I have no idea. That was the name printed on the box, though, so I am just going with it. "Cheesy Corn Casserole" is probably a better name. There should be a pretty good amount of protein in this dish between the cheese and the beans and rice creating a whole protein together, but you could add ground beef or maybe diced chicken, too. I've never tried it myself, it just sounds like it would work.

As I mentioned above, this does make a wonderful dip for tortilla chips and can be eaten by scooping it into your mouth with the chips. You can also just serve it on a plate and eat it with a fork. (Or spoon. It ended up a bit soupy. I should maybe let it cook longer next time.) Both are perfectly acceptable options. Since blue corn tortilla chips were on sale at Meijer, I chose to serve those along with the casserole. 

By the way, this made A LOT OF FOOD. Great for parties or if you want a ton of leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment