Saturday, April 19, 2014

Irish Nachos

Yes, I made these "Irish nachos" for a late dinner on St. Patrick's Day. I'm not sure how I feel about the name because the only thing Irish about the dish is the use of potatoes rather than tortilla chips, but even my friends of Irish heritage joke about the strong bond between Ireland and potatoes, so I guess I withhold judgement. (For St. Patrick's Day a few years ago, I made Irish Cream Cupcakes With Irish Cream Buttercream Frosting. That's pretty Irish, and so, so delicious. I didn't have time to make them again this year, sadly.)

Let's get one thing straight, I love potatoes, sour cream, and green onions. I also have noticed a growing fondness for fresh red tomatoes, and this dish combines all of these fabulous elements. There was no way I could not make this dish, Irish Awareness Day or no. I'm not sure where I first got the recipe, but I suspect it was Pinterest. I did a Bing search to see if I could find the one I used as reference and came up with so many results I gave up trying to find that one. It seems to be a popular recipe that one can acquire from anywhere. Here is my contribution! Because, of course, I changed it.

  1. Wash, then slice up a bunch of potatoes. I think I used 2, 1 for each of us, but you can use more depending on how many you are trying to feed. 
  2. I fried the potato slices in olive oil in my largest frying pan. You can also bake them to avoid the grease absorption. The idea is to get crisp potato slices that will hold their own. Be careful if you fry. Grease splattered on my arm and I still have discolored spots on my arm where the drops landed.
  3. While the potatoes were going (I had to cook them in batches), I chunked up a tomato and chopped some green onions.
  4. When the potatoes were golden brown, crisp, drained, and cooled a bit, I pulled out my glass pie dish and put down inside one layer of potatoes. Then I sprinkled a handful of shredded cheese and a handful of the chopped green onion. Other recipes will tell you to sprinkle on some sliced jalapenos, as well, but I don't like jalapenos, so I didn't use them. You could also put on bits of bacon. I know a lot of people like bacon.
  5. Repeat the layers of potatoes followed by cheese and onion (and whatever else you choose) until you are out of ingredients. I think I might have stretched to 3 layers. 
  6. I then placed my loaded down glass dish into the oven to bake. Some recipes call for the oven to be set at broil and to set the timer for 10 - 15 minutes. That may require putting the potatoes into a skillet rather than a glass pie dish. I think I baked mine at 450F for 20 - 30 minutes. Everything in the dish is already cooked, so you are looking to melt the cheese, cook the veggies a bit, and further brown the potatoes.
  7. After you've taken them out of the oven, let them cool just a bit before tossing on top the tomatoes and sour cream, which will melt quickly. My boyfriend Greg doesn't like sour cream, so I only put it on mine. 
And there you have it, Irish Nachos. So tasty! I would totally make these again. I found one recipe that suggested using waffle fries instead of slicing and browning potatoes from scratch. Not a bad time saver. Twisted Rooster, a nearby restaurant, makes these really awesome chicken nachos on waffle fries that Greg and I almost always get whenever we dine there, so I endorse this substitution. Maybe I'll give it a try when I make this again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment