Saturday, April 5, 2014

Ted's Bulletin of Washington, D.C.

Greg and I had a busy first day in Washington, D.C. The last item we had scheduled was a ghost tour of Capitol Hill, and before that, we needed to refuel. Greg had originally scouted out Ambar, which promised us Balkan cuisine, a food and culture we were not familiar with, thus it sounded exciting. Unfortunately, that turned out to be one of the places to go around Capitol Hill, and the wait was too long for us to eat before the ghost tour.

On our way to Ambar, however, we passed Ted's Bulletin, another restaurant Greg had come across in his search for tasty foods. There was a wait in the dining room, but up front in the bar/bakery section (you read that right), seating was first come, first served. There was an available table for two, so we sat down. I can only describe this place as a bar/soda fountain. In the bakery case there were home-made pop tarts, which we learned were somewhat famous, and I now wished I'd gotten one. We did partake of the adult milkshakes, which were fantastic!! Greg ordered a Bailey's Caramel Macchiato and I got a Nutty Professor, made with hazelnut liqueur. Mmmm....

Dinner was also fantastic. Greg could not pass up peanut butter on a burger (which we actually ended up seeing again on a menu in Massachusetts), so he had Drew's Peanut Butter Bacon Burger, which came with a side of tomato jelly. He insists it was all delicious. I went with the Popeye on a ground turkey patty with spinach, mushrooms, caramelized onions, and homemade Boursin cheese. It was sooo gooooood. I don't think I have ever eaten such a delicious turkey burger in all my life. 

Our server was great, too. When we told him we were from Michigan, he held up his hand, palm out, and said, "I just learned this today! Where in Michigan are you from?" We held up our own hands and pointed to the general location of Belleville, explaining that it is between Detroit and Ann Arbor, two cities he was familiar with. I love it when you can make a connection like that with strangers. It made our meal more enjoyable, too. 

Thanks to Ted's, I am inspired to make my own "adult milkshakes" at home. I only with there were a Ted's around here. There are multiple locations, they are just all in D.C. So if you are in, near, or visiting D.C., check one out! It was great fun! And so delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment