Saturday, May 31, 2014

Sweet Curried Spinach and Chickpeas

A few years ago I got this book out of the library called The 10 Things You Need to Eat by Anahad O'Connor and Dave Lieberman. I copied down a few of the most appealing recipes, but have only made a few. Here is one that I made last month that was so amazing, I almost couldn't wait to post it here! I highly, HIGHLY recommend this recipe. The ingredients are pretty simple:
  • 3 tablespoons of canola oil
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon of curry powder
  • 2 tablespoons of honey
  • 1 cup of chicken or vegetable broth
  • 2 cans 15oz chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained
  • 20oz frozen spinach, thawed
  • salt to taste
I am sure you can use fresh spinach as well, I just don't know the amount for that.

First you cook the chopped onion in the canola oil "until soft and nearly translucent." Medium heat should suffice. Stir in the curry powder and honey. Let this mixture cook an additional few minutes, then add the broth, chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), and spinach. Let this all simmer together for about 15 minutes. Salt to taste and serve.
I really couldn't get enough of this stuff. There was enough for leftovers the next day, and I happily added this to my lunch! I would absolutely make this again. Spinach is super good for you, even better when paired with chickpeas, and the curry and honey turned out to be a fantastic combination. Even if you don't like spinach, give this one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment