Saturday, May 3, 2014

The Wonderful World of Smoothies

I've had a smoothie maker for a number of years now, and only tried to use it once to make corn pudding. It didn't work. I had thought it was my technique, but now, years later, I realize it was probably actually the smoothie maker. I discovered this when I gave into peer pressure and decided to try my hand at making some smoothies. Luckily, Greg's mother gave us her old blender from decades ago, and it works like a charm! I am a huge fan of older technology. Back when we first started making handy gadgets, we built them to last. I have a hand-mixer that is older than my mother, and it still runs. We don't do that anymore because
consumerism has taken over every facet of this American life. Tragic, really.

Back to smoothies. I went to Meijer and bought a bag of frozen peaches, a bag of frozen strawberries, a half gallon of orange juice, one avocado, a bunch of bananas, and a tub of plain Greek yogurt to get me started. My first smoothie consisted of one banana, roughly one cup of OJ, half of the bag of frozen peaches, and most of the avocado (I love avocado, so I also ate some of it with soy sauce like I saw in a Japanese film once - it was delicious!). I had intended to also add some greens and celery, since both were going bad in my fridge, but I forgot when the smoothie maker wasn't working out and I had to switch to the blender. 

Oh well! It was very tasty! I liked the sweet, slightly tropical taste of the peaches, OJ, and banana. The avocado was a terrific addition, too, making the texture smoother, not to mention adding a lot of great nutrients and good fats. The addition of the avocado, did change the color, however. Since I could only drink half of my concoction (it was quite filling!), I put the rest in the fridge to take with me to work the next day. When I went to take it out that morning, the smoothie had taken on a decidedly brown tinge. It hadn't gone bad, and it tasted no less wonderful. Avocados just do that. You have been warned.

Today, I decided to make another smoothie since I had all the ingredients, this one a little greener. One of my reasons for turning to smoothies was to get more vegetables in my diet. (I am also trying to cut down on my intake of sweet, sweet, beautiful ice cream. Sigh.) I went all out this one. Here is a list of everything I threw into the blender:
  • half a bag of frozen peaches
  • roughly a cup of orange juice
  • a heaping scoop of plain Greek yogurt
  • half a cup of leftover carrots and peas that I found in the fridge
  • a handful of mixed greens
  • a tablespoon or so of clover honey
I was going to add some celery that is slowly going bad, but I ran out of room in the blender. I definitely taste the greens and peas, but I don't really see that as a bad thing since their presence was part of the point of the experiment. Peas and carrots are naturally sweet, so they really do go well with fruit. It occurs to me that a few sprigs of fresh mint would go well with this combo - it would taste even more refreshing! 

I have decided I like smoothies. They're quick, easy, and a great way of getting not only more fruit and vegetables in my diet (the eternal struggle for many of us), but also added liquid. I often have to force myself to drink water. At my jobs, I can't always go to the restroom whenever I need to, so over the years I have developed the habit of not drinking anything so as to avoid needing to use the restroom to begin with. It's not the healthiest approach, but that's just how some industries are. This has carried over to my home life, so even if I do sit down at the computer with a full glass of water next to me, it's rare that the cup empties more than a few sips. 

Even if Michigan is currently experiencing a colder than usual spring, I refuse to give in to the cold and will enjoy my springy, fresh and fruity smoothies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment