Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Low Carb Diets Are Very Restrictive


Totally forbidden.
First, I have to say that my car accident last week has really thrown my schedule! As has working 20 days in a row. (I only missed one shift for the car accident, and worked half of another before being taken to urgent care, then the ER. Riding in the ambulance was not nearly as exciting as it had sounded.)

Anyway, I have been seeing a nutritionist lately to see if a change in food and adding supplements to my diet would help the health problems I have been experiencing that conventional medicine has completely failed to address. Good news, it is helping! Bad news, I am being asked to cut out next to all carbs from my diet. I'm down to a limit of 165 per day, which is extremely difficult when I eat a fairly balanced diet already of vegetables, fruit, and milk. I may have to cut out my morning (and only) serving of milk with cereal because it puts me over the daily limit, which is stupid. 

No more fresh fruit and Greek yogurt parfaits - too many carbs! No more blueberries, cherries, raisins, or apples, either. Turns out they're riddled with carbs and super unhealthful. The only fruits listed on the sheet I was given are avocados (yes, avocados are a fruit), chayote (I have no idea what that is), raspberries, and strawberries. Most nuts are also verboten due to their unhealthfulness. I am allowed only macademia nuts and pecans. 

Vegetables, greens, dairy, and eggs make up the bulk of the list, in that order. Which makes little sense since the largest contribution to my daily carb intake is the half cup of whole milk I put on my cereal at breakfast (yes, it contains more than cereal itself). I've been keeping a food diary for a month now, and I am really struggling on where to cut out carbs. I don't eat sandwiches at lunch, so there is no bread there. We also don't have bread with dinner, and rarely eat pasta. The true bulk of my daily carb intake comes from fruit. I refuse to believe that eating fresh fruit is bad for me. 

This has also severely cut down on the number of calories I intake a day, which may sound like a good thing until you see that I go from 1600 calories a day to 900. I have been led to suspect (by a dietitian I met with in college mostly) that less than 1000 calories per day is not really so great a thing.

These things will kill you.
I was told I can have a treat every now and again, like ice cream, but how can I do that when my normal fruit and dairy diet is already maxing out my calorie intake? I don't think fruit should count as "carbs." When I think of carbs, I think of bread, oatmeal, cereal, pizza, ice cream, cookies, cake, etc, not blueberries (a superfood) and apples.

A typical breakfast for me was once a bowl of cereal or oatmeal with a tablespoon of raisins over-top and sometimes a glass of 100% juice. Now that is forbidden. 100% fruit juice is especially forbidden. The carb count is ridiculous! I used to eat an apple or some cherries with my lunch. Had to cut both. I had no idea what a terrible dietary lifestyle I was leading. Fruit, the silent killer.

Keeping the diary does make me more aware of what I am eating, but I don't think it is helping me curb carbs. Scurvy may sound funny, but I would rather not get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment