Saturday, August 23, 2014

Baked Breaded Basil Chicken

Here is a really simple and tasty chicken recipe that took very little time to prepare and bake. I don't recall where the recipe came from, but it's a relatively new one for me. 

Ingredients:
  • two chicken breasts thawed (or more, if you prefer)
  • olive oil
  • dried basil flakes
  • garlic salt
  • breadcrumbs (try Italian seasoned for extra flavor)
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Pour some olive oil into a dish large enough to dip chicken breasts in. Add some garlic salt and basil. Measurements are not exact, so just do what you think you can handle. "To taste," as they say. Stir the mixture and let it sit for a couple of minutes to blend flavors.
  3. Pour about 1 cup of breadcrumbs into another dish large enough to dip chicken breasts in. 
  4. Coat the chicken the breasts in the olive oil, basil, and garlic mixture, then in breadcrumbs. 
  5. After placing the breaded chicken breasts into a baking dish, sprinkle some more basil flakes over the top.
  6. Bake uncovered for 30 to 45 minutes.
Et voila. Add a veggie side, maybe some pasta or potatoes, and dinner is served. 

Before when breading chicken, I have always used an egg. I find the olive oil creates much less of a mess, and the breadcrumbs seemed to stick more evenly. I think I will use this technique from now on. 

I was thinking this would also be very tasty using parsley rather than basil since parsley is my favorite herb. You could probably use any herb, really, or a combination. I don't particularly enjoy rosemary, but I can see it working very well in this type of dish. Maybe a dash of grated Parmesan, too, before baking. The possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment