Saturday, September 20, 2014

Baked Oregano and Garlic Chicken

Somewhat inspired by the tasty (and easy) baked breaded basil chicken that I made over a month ago, I decided on another baked chicken and herb dish, this time using dried oregano, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.

The trick I learned from the basil chicken was to coat the chicken breasts (thawed if they were frozen) in a little bit of olive oil before shaking on the seasonings. Everything stick so much better! So I put the breasts in my baking dish, drizzled on some oil and smeared it around to coat the meat, then shook on my dried oregano leaves followed by some garlic powder, then a little bit of salt and pepper.


I pre-heated the oven to 350F and baked the chicken for about half an hour. One breast was thicker than the other took a little longer to cook. I suggest started baked chicken at half an hour, then cutting into the meat to make sure it is cooked through before removing it from the oven. If it's still pink, I put it back in for another ten minutes. It may help to stab holes into the meat before baking to help the heat get through. Some people tell me this makes the chicken cook faster, but I couldn't say for certain.

The flavor of this dish was excellent - very Italian, which gave me the idea to next time add some grated Parmesan cheese to the oregano and garlic coating, maybe finishing with some tomato sauce a couple of minutes before it is done cooking.

I still haven't done a baked parsley dish (that I can remember). That may have to happen in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment