Sunday, September 7, 2014

Red Bean Tempeh Saute and Scramble


In the latest issue of the Crazy Wisdom Community Journal, I reviewed the Brinery, a local company selling their delicious pickled products through farmers markets and health food stores (as well as some items online through their website). While I was visiting their booth at the Ann Arbor Farmers Market one day, I picked up some red bean tempeh. I have had tempeh many times, but never cooked it myself. Red bean (also known as azuki) is one of my favorite things in the whole universe, so I couldn't pass up an opportunity to try red bean tempeh! 

I actually didn't have the time to cook this dish myself, since I work evenings and get home late, so my terrific boyfriend Greg did it for me so it was ready and waiting to be eaten when I got home from work at 10:30pm. I poked around Pinterest for some recipe ideas, then Greg and I went to Meijer to pick up the other ingredients: 1 small onion, 1 red bell pepper, and some mixed leafy greens.

The steps for cooking are simple:
  1. Slice up the onion and red bell pepper.
  2. Break up the tempeh.
  3. Saute all of the above in your oil of choice until vegetables are softened.
  4. Toss in some fresh greens. When they are wilted, your dish is done. 
I think Greg tossed in some garlic and salt for extra flavoring. Many herbs would good with this combination. Of course, I recommend parsley because it's the king of herbs (in my kitchen), but thyme or basil would also be great additions. Also, I think tomatoes would be good because I like tomatoes. Maybe some cherry or grape tomatoes sliced in half.

Anyway, that was dinner. I loved it! The red beans had an interesting, almost crunchy texture that sort of popped when I chewed them. Red beans are sweet, so they matched the red bell pepper and onion quite well. 

Since we had some leftovers, I tossed them back in the frying pan the next morning, cracked in two eggs (rendering the dish no longer vegan, but still vegetarian for some), and made an awesome breakfast scramble. I don't know why I don't make more egg scrambles with red bell peppers and onions. It's a wonderful combination! Throw in some fresh mushrooms and I'm really happy. (Alas, I had none on this morning.) 

I don't know if red bean tempeh is unique to the Brinery or not. If so, find them and buy some! If not, find someone else and buy it from them! I found it to be a tasty new vegetarian/vegan item that I am glad I tried and would absolutely buy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment