Friday, October 17, 2014

Baked Chicken Chimichangas

Here is another recipe that I got off Pinterest, and it is totally a keeper! Naturally, I ran into a few kinks and had to add my own flare, which is why I am writing about it here. The recipe I followed called for half a packet of taco mix, or something odd like that, so instead of buying a baggy of taco mix, I made my own. It's super easy and very delicious! Making your own taco mix is totally the way to go since you can hone the flavor to your own taste.


How to Make Your Own Taco Seasoning:

  • Gather the following spices: chili powder, ground cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, and sea salt. If you want to make it hot, add crushed red pepper flakes, but they aren't necessary.
  • I put roughly half a teaspoon of each into a little glass dish and stirred them together. You can't do a very good taste-test, but you can smell it to judge if it's the right amount of spice. I think I ended up with 1/8 of a cup of spices if I had to judge visually.
  • Et voila.
Now, to make the baked chicken chimichangas:

Ingredients
  • 1 8oz package of cream cheese
  • 1 8oz package of shredded pepperjack cheese
  • the taco seasoning you just blended
  • 1 lb shredded cooked chicken
  • 8 flour tortillas
Steps
  1. Cream together the cream cheese, shredded pepperjack, and taco seasoning, then blend in shredded chicken.
  2. Divide this mixture amongst the eight tortillas. I think I actually ended up with 9 tortillas, there was so much stuff.
  3. Tuck in the sides of the tortillas and roll them up.
  4. Lay them with the seam side down on a baking dish. 
  5. Bake for 15 minutes at 350F.
  6. Flip the chimichangas over and bake for an additional 15 minutes at 350F.
Garnish with sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt if you are out, which is what I have had to do a few times), more shredded cheese, salsa, sliced green onions, or whatever you wish. 


Not only was this dish really tasty, it was really easy. The hardest part was getting the cream cheese to blend. I ended up softening it in the microwave to make it more malleable. As you can see in the picture above, I added a vegetable side dish to round out the meal. Would I make this again? Absolutely. In fact, I could probably make a huge batch in advance and freeze them for meals later in the week. I am a fan of this idea, but have rarely ever actually put it into practice. If I had a more set schedule, or one that didn't involve working most evenings, it might be easier to implement. 

Eh bien, c'est la vie. Onto the next cooking challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment