Saturday, October 4, 2014

Fake Pumpkin Ice Cream

Has anyone else seen the healthy homemade pumpkin ice cream floating around Facebook and Pinterest? When I saw it, I was intrigued because I love pumpkin. (Actual pumpkin, not just the spice.) I've been calling it Fake Pumpkin Ice Cream, which is perhaps misleading because it has real pumpkin - the ice cream is fake. Turns out it's really pretty tasty and super easy to make with only four ingredients:
  • 4 medium bananas sliced and frozen overnight
  • 1 cup of pumpkin puree
  • 1/3 cup of real maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of pumpkin spice
Puree all of the above together in a good blender. I say good blender because every time I try to puree frozen things (like when I attempted to make corn pudding), nothing really blends. (I didn't have a problem making smoothies, though that involved adding a liquid.) Once everything has been blended into submission, pour it into a freezer safe container and freeze it over night. Voila! Frozen pumpkin flavored thingie.

The pictures that I've seen floating around the internet make it look just as creamy as ice cream, and that was not the case with mine. It was actually quite icy, but this did not take away from the flavor. As it melted, it got less icy and creamier, so maybe it was a blender fail or maybe it was the Tupperware container that was only kind of freezer safe. It doesn't really matter to me. I quite enjoy the flavor (which Greg likened to summer squash; I tasted more banana and maple), and intend to make it again.

I was actually thinking about what other things I could use in this recipe in place of pumpkin. Sweet potato immediately sprang to mind, which I sometimes eat sweetened with brown sugar. In keeping with the fall theme, applesauce or cooked down fresh apples and cinnamon might also work. We may yet go apple picking this year, and if I give this one a try, I will be sure to post about it here (even if it turns out to be a total disaster). 

No comments:

Post a Comment