Saturday, November 1, 2014

Meatball and Potato Casserole with Peas and Carrots

A lot of my friends like to share recipes on Facebook. A few times, I've seen a picture pop up for a meatball casserole. I'd never heard of a meatball casserole before, so I decided to investigate it because I love casseroles! Here is my creation based on a few different recipes and my own experimenting.

Ingredients

1 package of frozen shredded hashbrowns
1 oz container of sour cream
1 can of cream of potato soup
1 cup of frozen mixed peas and carrots
1/4 cup of fresh chopped chives or smaller amount of dried chives
2 cups shredded cheese (Colby or cheddar are great)
1 package of frozen miniature meatballs
Steps
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. In a large bowl, blend together the shredded hashbrowns, sour cream, cream of potato soup, frozen peas and carrots, and the shredded cheese. Spread this evenly in a large, glass baking dish. 
  3. On top of the hashbrown mixture, evenly spread the frozen meatballs.
  4. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
  5. Uncover and bake for an additional 25 minutes. 
Et voilĂ ! Dinner is served. It wasn't quite as cheesy as I wanted it to be, but it was still very tasty, quite filling, and supplied leftover lunches for the next few days. It rather reminds me of the Chicken Meal in One recipe in that it has meat, potato, and a vegetable all together.

I feel like you could easily make meat substitutions with this recipe, like chunks of ham (which I can't eat) in place of meatballs, or slices of kielbasa or other large sausage. Using frozen meatballs is, of course, quick and easy, which I think is the main point of this dish. Obviously, other vegetables could also be used. I avoided using corn because of the presence of the already starchy potatoes.

So there it is, another easy casserole to pop in the oven on cold, winter nights. Hey, there was snow last night, therefore, it is officially winter. (Boo.) Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment