Saturday, November 8, 2014

Pizza Chicken

This recipe is a lot like the salsa chicken that my mom used to make when I was growing up (and that I have made myself several times as an adult). It requires three ingredients: chicken, pasta sauce, and shredded mozzarella cheese.

First, I preheated my oven to 400F (my oven runs hot, so it was actually more than that, but I have yet to temp it, so we'll just go with 400F). While that was happening, I placed two chicken breasts in my square glass baking dish. I then poured enough pasta sauce over the breasts to thoroughly cover them. Here's something new for me! I covered the baking dish with the chicken in foil before sticking it in the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
After the timer went off, I uncovered the chicken and put it back in the oven to bake for another 15 minutes. Then I turned off the oven, sprinkled shredded mozzarella cheese (or carefully placed the melted-together-in-the-fridge chunks of mozzarella cheese) over the chicken breasts, put the dish back in the oven and allowed the heat to melt the cheese while I waited for Greg to arrive home. 

I have dubbed this Pizza Chicken because it's a lot like a cheese pizza, only with chicken instead of dough. So if you have it in for gluten (or gluten has it in for you), but you still enjoy the taste of mozzarella and tomato sauce, this may be a good fit for you. I paired it with some steamed veggies from Green Giant that were pre-flavored with garlic and herbs. I think it would also be tasty with mashed potatoes (think pizza and french fries), or pasta (because pasta). 

Also what if I put sliced mushrooms in with the cheese when I did that part.... Mmm! Maybe next time. I still have plenty of leftover pasta sauce and mozzarella.

No comments:

Post a Comment