Sunday, April 12, 2015

Honey and Garlic Chicken Strips

I was looking through my Pinterest boards again for dinner ideas again and came across this recipe for Honey Garlic Chicken. I thought to myself, "Hey, this looks easy and tasty!" Well, it  was tasty... I really need to remember that the recipes I find online never work out the way they're supposed to. I recommend this recipe. Consider this a warning of what not to do with it.

First off, I emptied every pot of honey we had in the apartment and still only came up with half of the 1/2 cup the recipe called for. This actually ended up not being a problem. What went awry here was the soy sauce. I didn't realize that Greg had used up the last of our soy sauce on a previous dinner. My mind had a difficult time comprehending how my kitchen could run out of soy sauce. Greg suggested I use some of the copious packets of soy sauce that, for unknown reasons, collect in our fridge and on top of the toaster oven. I'm a bit of a soy sauce snob (Kikkoman all the way!), but I didn't see much choice as it was late, I was hungry, and I didn't feel like running to the store. Next time, I will run to the store.

This recipe, like most breaded chicken recipes, calls for dipping the raw chicken breasts into egg whites before the flour mixture, but I prefer olive or canola oil because it both feels less wasteful to me (those 2 eggs could have been breakfast), and I like how it crisps up better.

It took sooo looong to cook the strips. I'd taken 2 chicken breasts and cut them in half. Some of the breast pieces were thicker than others. What should have taken about half an hour took over an hour. If I do this again - and I very well may because Greg really liked this dish -  I will probably cut the chicken into chunks. It cooks faster and more chicken is exposed to and coated in the sauce.


I ended up adding salt near the end because the soy sauce packets (which were a mistake) were not salty enough. I thought the sauce tasted funny, but Greg disagreed, and I do think the salt helped. I guess I would like to make this again with the proper ingredients, though I am impressed that I managed to pull it together with what we had. It really was quite easy, the chicken just didn't want to cook in the middle. Thoroughly cooked chicken is very important.

I paired this honey and garlic chicken with canned carrots because that's what we had. Next time, I will make rice for sure. I keep saying "next time." I guess I better add soy sauce and honey to the shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment