Saturday, April 4, 2015

Shredded Brussels Sprouts: Original Recipe


One of the last times I made Brussels sprouts,  I decided that buying the bag of pre-shredded Brussels sprouts is much easier  and so much less time-consuming than shredding them myself. So on our last trip to Trader Joe's, I grabbed a bag because we both really enjoyed the shredded sprouts more than the whole or half cut sprouts.

I didn't have any particular plan for them. As they started to brown a little in the fridge, I realized I had to do something with them and soon! So I went through the cupboards and fridge and came up with the following:
  •  1 bag shredded Brussels sprouts
  •  2 tablespoons julienne cut sun-dried tomatoes
  •  1/4 cup crushed pecans
  •  a few healthy dashes of lemon juice
  •  generous twists of Trader Joe's garlic salt grinder

All of this was tossed together and thrown in a frying pan with canola oil (so it wouldn't burn)  over medium heat. Brussels sprouts cook pretty quickly and turn a darker, brighter green so you know they're done. Right before I turned off the heat, I finely grated over-top some white block cheese that was starting to go bad in my fringe and mixed it into the sprouts.

Voila! A tasty side dish for dinner (which was beef in the crockpot). It was really fast, too. I love Brussels sprouts! I wonder if they're difficult to grow...

No comments:

Post a Comment