Sunday, May 3, 2015

Easy Antelope Chili (Yes, Antelope)


About a month or so ago, Greg's mom gave us a bunch of frozen wild game meat (antelope and venison). Where she got it from, we don't know, but it's ours now, and I like a culinary challenge! So I set out to learn how to cook it. There really isn't a lot out there on wild game, weirdly. Especially not antelope. Luckily, I did find Nevada Foodies. It's so well put together and the recipes are just fantastic. This recipe did not actually come from there, but it was really my launching point.

Greg and I didn't really follow any one recipe for this. I found this one at Cooks.com. We bought all of the ingredients from Meijer. When it came time to make it, though, Greg was home before me, so I decided to have him start it, but the link was on my computer. So I found another one on Food.com and texted him the link. What resulted was both delicious and a bit of a hodgepodge. Finding the tomato juice was a bit of a trial (the Belleville Meijer is a bit lacking on many fronts), so we ended up with far, far more than we needed. 

Anyway. Here is our own special Antelope Chili:

Ingredients
  • 1 to 2 lbs ground antelope (there was no actual measurement, just a package of ground meat)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes, not drained
  • Roughly 20 fluid ounces of tomato juice, more or less to your taste
  • 3 cans of dark red kidney beans
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • dashes of salt
  • dashes of Trader Joe's South African Smoke grinder
Instructions

  • In a large pot, cook the antelope, chopped onions, and minced garlic until the meat is browned. 
  • Add the can of diced tomatoes, tomato juice and spices. Stir and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about an hour. 
  • Add the 3 cans of beans and continue to simmer and stir until desired thickness is achieved. 
Obviously, you can substitute ground beef for antelope. Or ground venison. Maybe even ground elk (I have no experience with elk). I can't say how tempeh would work, but I imagine ground turkey would be ok. At any rate! There you have it. Our simple and quick chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment