Sunday, June 28, 2015

First of the Season Food Truck Rally at the Ann Arbor Farmers Market in Kerrytown

About a week and a half ago, my awesome boss and friend Kerstin alerted me to a food truck rally at the Ann Arbor Farmers Market in Kerrytown. My fiance Greg is a huge fan of food trucks, and honestly, I am becoming one myself. (We're talking of having our wedding reception catered by a food truck.) And this was only the first of a summer-long, monthly food truck rallies at the Wednesday Evening Farmers Market in Kerrytown! The next is July 15th, then August 19th and September 16th after that. (Courtesy of this article on MLive.)

The June meet-up turned out to be a bit of a rainy night, but the Farmers Market is well equipped to handle such weather and is mostly covered (thought not all of the trucks were). There was the usual market activity, tons of food options, and face painting! Sadly, I did not get my face painted (at this event...). But Greg and I did get something from almost all of the trucks, plus a bag of delicious, all natural garlic parsley linguine from the Pasta Shop (find them in the market). 

First up was the Pita Post where I got a chicken shawarma pita and Greg ordered the buffalo blue cheese sausage. We also split an order of sweet potato fries. The shawarma was a little dryer than I like (because I can't get enough of garlic tahini sauce!!), but still delicious and satisfying. Greg enjoyed his sandwich, though I think he said it had some bite to it. The fries were nice and crispy. And because that wasn't enough, we also stopped by the Hero or Villain Van to split a Frieza, comprised of "mozzarella, spinach, blueberries mascarpone on sourdough." As Greg said, it was a "dessert sammich!" And wonderful.


I'd really wanted to try the Shimmy Shack with its all vegan and gluten-free menu, but the line was pretty long, and at that point, I think we were just ready for dessert (not in sammich form), so we picked up some wonderful-as-always gelato from Hello Ice Cream and donuts from Petey's Donuts


It was so much fun! Maybe next time I can gather a group together and we can all go hang out, with perhaps a little drinking after. (I haven't gone out with people in sooo looong!) Even with the weather, the June event was well-attended. It's nice to see this foodie fad getting so much support. I think food trucks are a great idea! I know a number of the newer restaurants around Ann Arbor got their starts as food carts at Mark's Carts on Washington. It's a great way to test the waters and either build on a good thing or take it once step further to a brick-and-mortar location. Any which way, I get to eat tasty and innovative dishes. Eat on!

No comments:

Post a Comment