Sunday, June 7, 2015

Lemon Pepper Brussels Sprouts with Raisins and Walnuts


We have a lot of spices in our cupboards. So when I looked through for something to pair with my bag of shredded Brussels sprouts from Trader Joe's, I had a lot to choose from. I eventually settled on an old standby, lemon pepper, which I used to sprinkle (liberally) on chicken breasts. I didn't follow any particular recipe for this because I have made Brussels sprouts so many times, it's really just a matter of throwing together new combos at this point.

Ingredients:
  • 1 bag of shredded Brussels sprouts
  • lemon pepper seasoning 
  • about 1/4 cup golden raisins
  • about 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
To start, you want to heat your Brussels sprouts in a good-sized frying pan. You don't want the sprouts to fall over the edge and out of the pan while you stir them to be sure they are evenly cooked. You are also going to want some kind of non-sticking agent. I tend to use olive oil (regular - not extra virgin), but cooking spray, coconut oil, or even butter or bacon grease should work just as well. Just know that whatever oil or fat that you use will affect the taste of the dish. 

I sprinkle my seasoning in right after adding the sprouts to the pan and and stir to coat. So it goes oil (or fat), sprouts, then seasoning. Allow to cook for a couple of minutes, remembering to check to make sure nothing is browning or burning.

Brussel sprouts are finished cooking when they turn a deep, bright green. As the tips are just starting to turn, add the raisins, which will absorb the excess liquid and oil and plump up. Turn the sprouts over often and blend thoroughly to ensure even cooking and no burning. I save the walnut pieces for right at the very end when I am about ready to turn off the heat. 

Over moderate heat, this only takes a few minutes. This is why I like shredded Brussels sprouts. They are a quick and easy sidedish! 

No comments:

Post a Comment