Sunday, July 19, 2015

Almond Chicken in the Slow Cooker


Funny thing about this dish. It's called "Almond Chicken" and we totally forgot to put the almonds on it! Oops! Obviously, it didn't need them, though I would like to make it again and include them to see what it is supposed to taste like. (We still have the almonds; they're unopened in the cupboard.) Anyway... This is another easy recipe from 200 Slow Cooker Creations (the same book as last week's Creamy Black Bean Salsa Chicken). 

Ingredients:

1 14oz can of chicken broth (or turkey if you're me)
2 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled (again, turkey if you're me)
2 T butter
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup dried minced onions
1 4oz can sliced mushrooms, drained
2 T soy sauce
1/2 tspn salt
1 1/2 cups diagonally sliced celery (optional)
Cooked rice
1 cup toasted slivered almonds (or not - oops!)

Instructions:

"Combine all ingredients except the rice and almonds in a greased 3 1/2- to 4 1/2-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 3-4 hours. Serve over hot cooked rice and sprinkle with the almonds."

Easy, right? And very flavorful, even without the almonds! Of course, our version with the turkey broth (Greg is allergic) and turkey bacon (I can't digest most pig products) is automatically going to taste different than the original recipe. I really don't think this detracted from the end result. The almonds would give it a nice crunch. Slow cookers aren't really known for adding crunch to things, unless it overcooks and things burns. We opted for the celery, which I enjoyed, but was definitely not crunchy after cooking for so long in broth. 

As I said, I'd make this again. 3 to 4 hours is really not very long in terms of slow cookers, so I don't even need a lot of time to plan for it. I'll have to check 200 Slow Cooker Creations and see what other goodies it has for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment