Saturday, August 1, 2015

The Wolverine Grill in Downtown Ypsilanti, Michigan

I don't know if it's out of some vague cultural nostalgia or what, but I have always loved diners. They feature a lot in American culture. Lots of adventures begin and take hiatus in diners, whether real, in art, film, or literature. Nighthawks by Edward Hopper has got to be one of the most recognized paintings in the country (even if you can't name it). 


My friend has been recommending the Wolverine Grill located on Michigan Ave in downtown Ypsilanti for a while now. She goes there every weekend with her husband for breakfast (which I think is adorable, by the way). It's only open for breakfast and lunch, not when I am often free for eating out. My own husband-to-be and I finally managed to find the time last Sunday! Greg and I rarely have days off together, so it was beyond a treat to be able to sleep in together then lazily get breakfast out before getting on with house stuff and packing for Greg's camping trip to Pennsic (without me - I can't afford the time off). 

The Wolverine Grill is truly fantastic. Greg ordered the Giant French Toast which comes with a meat of your choice and 2 eggs ("no toast or potatoes"). I think he enjoyed it. I was a little distracted by the Special that I ordered in honor of the Summer Beer Festival, the "Beer-Fest Inspired Patty Sausage Gravy Bowl: 2 Patty Sausage with Beer-Infused Sausage Gravy Piled on Top of Wolverine Potatoes. 2 Eggs Over Medium AND More Gravy. All in The Bowl. Multi-Grain Toast." It. Was. Glorious. And I totally missed the part about specials being accompanied by a little cup of yogurt and fresh fruit and a shooter of "Apple OR Orange OR V-8 OR Cranberry Juice OR Strawberry Basil and Jalapeno Lemonade OR Cold-Press Coffee." And a mini cupcake.

<3 A MINI RED VELVET CUPCAKE. <3

Lest you think that I have jumped on the Red Velvet OMG bandwagon, allow me to correct you. I have liked red velvet since before it was called red velvet and I was a small child. My grandmother, who called it Waldorf Astoria cake, used to make it on special occasions. It was the best part of family reunions, in my ever so humble opinion. I don't know why it has become a sudden fad (and traded names), but I really don't mind. My grandmother has been gone for about ten years now, and having memories of her surface every time I walk into a bakery, donut shop, or the frozen food aisle is wonderful. I don't remember Grandma cooking very much (she stopped when my grandfather retired because she had done her time as homemaker) so my memory of the cake she made is that much sweeter.

As for the juice shooter, I went with the strawberry basil lemonade, which I found quite refreshing. The yogurt fruit cup was also a great way to end a rather heavy meal (yes, I saved it for last). The cupcake was almost too much. Almost. The toast definitely was. Greg ate one, so that it wasn't a total waste. I hate throwing away perfectly good food.

I have to mention the music, too. Classic motown! My parents listened to a lot of motown while I was growing up (because Michigan), so I knew almost every song that played. Loved it! The staff was also friendly and attentive. Overall, the Wolverine Grill just has a great atmosphere.

Oh, and one more thing before I close this entry. Most of the way through our meal, I noticed three people enter, a young woman and two young men wearing fairy wings. Greg was not facing the door, so amidst our conversation I said, "Two fairies just walked in." And because this was Ypsilanti, close neighbor of Ann Arbor, where fairies abound, he didn't bother to turn and look. Later, when he saw them himself as they frolicked down the street, he realized what I had meant and was amused.

Such a great welcome to our new home! The Wolverine Grill and fairies. Such is my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment