Monday, September 14, 2015

Homemade Soup on the Fly

One of our baked chicken with herbs dinners one night ended up leaving behind a lot of juice, so I saved it in a jar and used it to make homemade soup a few days later. This is a nice trick if you're like me and don't like wasting things. The juice was rich in flavor from both the chicken and the herbs. (Sorry that I can't recall which herbs were used on the chicken. Doesn't matter too much, though, as this work with any baked chicken dish that left a lot of juice behind.)

Another handy trick for soups is mirepoix, or chopped celery, onions, and carrots. You can buy pre-chopped blends in stores, which saves time. I had all three on hand, so I chopped them myself, then added them to the boiling leftover broth.

Some chunks of chicken would have been a nice addition, but I didn't want to take the time to thaw and cook it. This was supposed to be a quick, light lunch, and I succeeded there. I've spent a good amount of this summer sick, so I've made a fair amount of soup. This was the simplest and still really quite tasty. And the best part, I didn't have to run to the store for special ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment