Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Holiday Cookies!


My first ever entry in this blog was December 6th, 2010 and it was about holiday baking. I probably love baking more than any other kind of cooking. I grew up baking cookies with my mother every year after Thanksgiving as a way of kicking off the Christmas season. As an adult, I've tried carrying on the baking tradition (a manager in California once called me a "traditionalist"), but working in retail doesn't allow for free time in December. 

The last few years I worked 60 hours and 7 days a week. It is by sheer stubbornness and luck that I have a fairly normal work load this year, minus a few 12 hour days here and there. Normally, I work on Wednesdays, but I somehow got today off, so I decided to devote it to cookie baking! Rather than detail each cookie, I will instead post links to the recipes I used and a few pictures.

First up is a new cookie I have never made before that is super easy and delicious, Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cookies. You know those cookies with the Hershey Kiss in the middle? They are like that, just with a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup rather than a Kiss. It's sort of a cheat because it involves a package of peanut butter cookie mix, but that is why it is so quick and easy.

Second, I started on Chocolate Crinkles, which I have never made from scratch before. (A friend once gave me a mix, though.) I somehow failed to notice the part about chilling the dough for a minimum of four hours, so I should have started with this one! It's ok, though. They still got made.


Third, the amazingly tasty, and also never tried before, Red Velvet Cream Cheese Thumbprint Cookies. These are awesome!! Greg doesn't like traditional thumbprint, or as I know them, thimble cookies, filled with jam, but he said he could get behind these. These were really quite easy to make, and I will be keeping this recipe.

Fourth up are Greg's favorite cookies, Snickerdoodles, which I have made many times. My mother also loves snickerdoodles, as did an old friend's boss, so whenever I made treats for his office (I told you I like to bake), I included snickerdoodles in the mix.

I also want to try another new cookie, Italian Christmas Cookies, but they will have to wait for another day.

While I worked, I watched episodes of Star Trek: the Next Generation and a Christmas film on Hulu called The Christmas Dragon which is a fantastic movie!!! It's a high fantasy about orphaned children saving Father Christmas with Tolkein-style elves shooting arrows and goblins shooting flaming arrows. Never mind that Christmas is the mass of Christ and no such person or religion seem to exist in this fantasy world. There are dragons! And a dragon helps save Christmas! Go watch it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment