Monday, January 25, 2016

Breakfast Muffins and Other Sundries

Despite sleeping clear through most mornings these past few months, I've been eating a fair amount of breakfast foods, mostly because they are so easy to make and nutritious. 

I started off eating a lot of egg scrambles with bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, spinach, and garlic, all of which were pre-chopped and stored in plastic tubs in the freezer. (Ok, the eggs were kept unbroken in the fridge.) I also would sometimes fry up a few slices of turkey bacon, so these were protein heavy meals.

On mornings that I worked, I usually just had a bagel and cream cheese. I started keeping a tub of cream cheese in the work fridge and either brought a bagel from home or picked up a more freshly baked bagel from Sparrow Market or Zingerman's in Kerrytown.


Today I was feeling more ambitious, so after a midday nap with my kitty Memphis, I decided to make a recipe that we bought ingredients for last week, Individual Baked Oatmeal Cups. My mother sent me the link to them on Pinterest. The recipe says it makes a dozen, but I got 14 out of it, possibly because I added more oats as the batter was quite runny and I was worried it would make the paper muffin cups soggy (they did end up sticking quite a bit). My toppings were frozen blueberries, chopped walnuts, dried cranberries, and golden raisins (not all together, though that probably wouldn't be bad).

Now I should have breakfasts ready to go for the next couple weeks without worry. The muffins are freezable, warm-up-able, and one of the suggestions is to pour milk over them and break them up like a wheat biscuit, making them also versatile. And, for those concerned parties, gluten free, assuming the other ingredients used are gluten free. (I've recently learned not all baking powder is gluten free.) 

As for the taste, very much like a thick oatmeal. I like it! And I am not generally a fan of oatmeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment