Sunday, March 13, 2016

BBQ Chicken With Cheddar and Bacon & Lemon Tarragon Asparagus

BBQ chicken has always been a staple in my family. When you're tired and feeling uninspired, just spread some barbecue sauce on a few chicken breasts and toss them in the oven. Any vegetable goes with BBQ. Pasta, too, if you need a starch. It's also a plain meal, though tasty. 

Then I came across a variation that is far superior to the original! Throw some shredded cheddar cheese and bacon crumbles on top of the BBQ sauce and it's a party. It's also super easy!

While the chicken slathered in sauce was in the oven baking at 350F for 20ish minutes, I cooked 3 slices of turkey bacon on the stove-top. After getting it nice and crispy (and letting it cool), I crumbled it by hand into a bowl for later. I then grated the block cheese into another bowl. 


When the chicken was done, I added the cheese followed by the bacon, then popped the smothered chicken back in the oven until the cheese was melted. Perfection!

For a side, Greg and I put together some Lemon Tarragon Asparagus, a recipe we were trying out as a vegan side option for our wedding reception. I'm not sure I've ever cooked with tarragon before, and I didn't realize it was so minty. It paired well with the splash of lemon juice, making a fresh, summery dish (though it was winter outside).

I tried putting tarragon in an egg scramble later, and it was less tasty. Fragrant, though! Even so, I don't think we'll be growing tarragon in our herb garden. But I might make the asparagus dish again! I think it'd be good on the grill with big, whole pieces of asparagus. I think we could do the chicken on the grill, too. 

I can't unit for warmer, dryer weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment