Saturday, May 7, 2016

Chicken Cheese Casserole with Asparagus


I posted a version of this recipe - my usual form of this recipe - a couple of years ago here under For the Love of Casseroles. I mentioned that the original recipe that my family has never actually made calls for a can of green beans and that it's probably not a bad way to add some vegetables to the meal. Tonight, I gave it a try. But not with a can of green beans, with a bag of frozen asparagus. And this time with pretzel panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs) rather than Italian seasoned.

The Steps:
  • Cover the bottom of a glass casserole dish with cooked chunks of chicken (1.5 to 2 cups).
  • Layer the chicken with a bag of frozen asparagus cuts. (Spears are probably too big.) 
  • Sprinkle this layer with breadcrumbs. 
  • Then sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese. 
  • In a saucepan, heat cream of chicken soup (condensed) and 1/2 can of chicken broth. (I used cream of celery and vegetable broth because Greg is allergic to chicken broth, but chicken is traditional.) 
  • Add a 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the soups. Warm and stir until cheese melts. 
  • Pour this over the stuff in the casserole dish. 
  • Cover with another layer of breadcrumbs and drizzle with 1/4 cup melted butter. 
  • Bake 1 hour at 350F.
Why pretzel panko? Because it was what I had in the cupboard. I figure the texture and salt level are similar to the crushed Ritz crackers that often top casseroles. 

I debated between frozen broccoli and frozen asparagus, eventually choosing the asparagus because if I'm going to be experimental, why not go all out? We sometimes get cheese and asparagus-stuffed chicken breasts from Meijer, so I already knew asparagus and cheese go great together (albeit a different kind of cheese). 

One of the reasons I love casseroles so much is because you can throw all the ingredients of a meal - protein, vegetable, cheese - into one container, toss it in the oven, and an hour later out comes dinner. (This Chicken Meal in One is another great tactic!)

So here you have it, another recipe I did not follow. And that's why the blog is called Adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment