Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Cream of Leftover Green Beans Soup


Last week, while making béchamel sauce, I learned that béchamel sauce is used as a base for cream of whatever soups. Of course, when I looked up recipes, none of them required me to make béchamel sauce first as such, so I had to improvise. Like using half a tub of leftover green beans from KFC that didn't look so appetizing on their own. It really wasn't very hard. Here is what I did:

Ingredients:
Steps:
  • Bring all of the above ingredients to a boil, then lower the temperature to a simmer and cook for about ten minutes.
  • Slowly pour soup mixture into 2ish cups of béchamel sauce, stirring constantly.
  • Simmer for a few minutes, then serve.
I say 2ish cups of béchamel sauce because that is about what I ended up with after making the previously posted recipe. I also got about 3 servings of soup.

The flavor was, obviously, quite nutty, and texture not as creamy as if I'd been able to strain it. (I've since purchased cheese cloth, but have yet to use it.) I liked it, though! The nuttiness added some substance to what is generally a subtle taste. Cream soups can be rich, but I don't think of them as packed with flavor like a marinara, chili, or masala.

I would consider making this soup again with other vegetables (soup is a wonderful dish for leftovers), but maybe without making the nut milk first. I'd prefer to use ingredients already on hand. That is how leftovers usually work.

1 comment: