Monday, January 2, 2017

Nut Milk (Happy New Year)

Hey, I'm back! It's been about half a year since my last update (Peanut Butter and Mulberry (and Banana and Spinach) Protein Smoothie). A lot has happened since then! Life has been busy, and I am sad to report I have not been dong a lot of cooking. My husband cooks dinner more often than I do (P.S. I got married).

I also quit one of my part-time jobs, leaving me with more free time. And I got a promotion and started working as an editor as well as writer for the Journal, which eats up some of that free time, but I want to return to writing for fun and pleasure! So here I am.

I have undertaken in this new year to cut out a significant amount of fructose (removing all forms of sugar is just crazy talk) from my diet because I love sugar, and I think it's been making me sick. I also want to switch to a more whole foods, locally procured diet, so I used some Christmas money to purchase two cook books: Fl!p Your K!tchen by Liza Baker and I Quit Sugar: Your Complete 8-Week Detox Program and Cookbook by Sarah Wilson.

The former is by a local author and is available for purchase at the Crazy Wisdom Bookstore and Tea Room. The latter is not a step-by-step guide to quitting sugar, but rather a helpful, easygoing collection of guidelines with some promising recipes - so my kind of book. They both recommend making your own nut milk (I know, snicker snicker, nut milk). I rolled my eyes until I saw that lesson one in Fl!p was nut milk. The béchamel sauce recipe, lesson two, uses the nut milk. Sigh. Fine! 

So now there is a bowl of almonds and cashews (all the nuts in the house, picked one by one from a plastic canister of assorted mixed nuts and dried cranberries) soaking in cold water on my counter, waiting to be blended with more cold water tomorrow, thus creating homemade nut milk. I have been cow milk free for many months now (I'm allergic to the protein), but though I have been using almond milk as my milk alternative, this homemade variety does not sound appetizing.

I'll let you know next time how it - and the béchamel sauce - goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment