Monday, January 23, 2017

Zucchini Fritters


January is not the best month for zucchinis. But I love zucchinis, and when I came across this recipe in the book I Quit Sugar, I thought it sounded delicious and wanted to try it. It's like a hashbrown patty, but with zucchini instead of potatoes. As pointed out in Fl!p Your K!tchen (which also has this recipe) you can actually use just about any vegetable; all you need to do is be able to grate them. (There are a dozen more online at least.)

As I said, I used zucchini in January, so I grated five or six of them with my hand-grater because they were so small. I ended up with about two to three cups of shredded zucchini. Made in season, three or four zucchini should suffice. Zucchini is one of the things I insist on growing in my garden, so I am excited to try this in-season with fresh zucchini from the garden!

Other Ingredients
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 T flour
  • dashes of salt and pepper to taste
  • oil or fat of choice for the pan
First, whisk the flour, eggs, salt and pepper, then combine with the zucchini. 

Next, grease a frying pan and set to medium heat. I actually used avocado oil for this one because we happen to have some on hand and I wanted to try it, but coconut oil, olive oil, butter, ghee, or cooking spray should all work. Use what you're used to. 

Once the pan is heated, spoon dollops of the zucchini mixture into the pan, sort of like you're making pancakes. Also like pancakes, you want to let the first side cook for a few minutes before flipping it to let the other side cook. You're going for golden, crispy brown. 

That's it. Eat plain, or with a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream and chives, possibly applesauce, cheese. The same things you'd put on latkes or potato pancakes should work here, as well. 

This is one of those dishes that can be made for any meal. I think we made it for dinner, but I'd eat them for breakfast, too, and I think it'd be fun to experiment with different herbs and mixing in other vegetables like shredded carrot. 

Recipes I can play with are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment